Lately we have been working a lot in Shakespeare, as this year is the 400 anniversary from his death. our teacher Pilar assigned us to do some digging on Shakespeare to create an interview, we recorded it with Clari, and here it is.
Our teacher Pilar, from Language, asked us to do a comic from a story we read and invent a conversation the characters could have before they were punished for an offense to the community.
In our class we have been studing reported speech and we were given as a task to look up for a video of a person which meant something to us and choose five sentences or quotes of the speech and report them.
Why has the word become such an uncomfortable one?
She asked why the word had become such an uncomfortable one.
No country in the world can yet say they achieved gender equality.
She reminded that no country in the world has achieved gender equality.
My school did not limit me because I was a girl.
She explained that her school did not limit her because of being a girl.
They may not know it, but they are the inadvertent feminists that are changing the world today.
She acknowledged that the inadvertent gender feminists that are changing the world today might not know it.
We don’t often talk about men being imprisioned by gender stereotypes, but I can see that they are, and that when they are free, things will change for women as a natural consequence.
She recognised that we didn’t often talk about men being imprisoned by gender sterreotypes, but she could see that they are, and that when they are free, things would change for women as a natural consequence.
We had to look up for tutorials about reported speech, this is the video that I found.
During Language class, our teacher Pilar assigned us as a task to wrtie a crime story.
It’s late at night and you are coming back from work. You witness a strange event. Write the story ( 180-200 words)
It was late at night, I had just gotten out of the office, and walking to my car I heard some strange noises. I was about to go and look if something was going on when my phone rang. It was my wife, she was mad at me because I was getting late for dinner. So I grabbed my keys got in the car and went home. When suddenly I heard screaming and crying. I got of the car and asked if everything was okay. Suddenly a woman with a bleeding face came at me crying and screaming that we had to leave. “He’s coming” she said. We got in the car and left immediately.
I took her to the police station and they took her in for some questions. I was told to go home. There was nothing else I could do. So I called my wife explained to her what had happened and went home. I gave my number to the police so that they could keep me informed of what was going to happen to the woman.
Next morning I received a call from the station and they told the woman was being taken into witness protection. She was an undercover officer, who came from up state origin. Who had been tracking terrorists for months. They had discovered who she really was and sent men after her. I was told to go on vacations with my family for a few weeks to make sure they weren’t looking for me either.
During langauge class we read this website that out teacher Pilar showed us on how to write crime stories, as in the term-test we will have to write one
During Language class we read teh story “Dumb Martian” and we answered some questions about the story, here are the answers:
- Discuss the full significance of the title of the story. Where and when does it begin?
- What seems to be the attitudes in the society about buying a female Martian? What are the rules?
- Who is Lellie, where did Duncan Weaver get her from, and why did he buy her? How much does she end up costing him?
- Where is Weaver going, for how long, and what will his position/ duties be? What seems to be his main motivation in going?
- What do we learn about Weaver in the beginning? How are we made to feel about him at first?
- Where is the Company Agent based and what is his role? Summarise what he says in response to Weaver’s talk of ‘dumb Martian’. What further limitations of Weaver are made obvious (75-76) in the conversation between the outgoing supervisor and Weaver?
- How are the Martians described at the top of p70? What do we learn of them and their history/ civilization?
- How is Jupiter IV/II, Weaver’s “future home”, described on page p70? Why is this description particularly effective/ suggestive?
- What is the effect of how the universe is described (bottom 76 and top 77)? Quote the words uttered by Weaver that contribute to this effect.
- Describe Leslie’s appearance. Sketch/ draw what you think she looks like based on the details given.
1) The title of the story is “Dumb Martian”. We think that the story is called like that because of one of the main characters who was a martian. Duncan is Lillie’s husband but he didn’t love her. He involved himself in a marriage ceremony to travelled to Júpiter.
2) The attitudes in the society about buying a female martian were racist and a society that supports slavery, discrimination and chauvinism.
3) Lellie is a martian, Duncan bought her first for 1000 but finally got her for $ 2,310, he needed her because he had to travel to jupiter and needed someone to get married with. He needed to go to Jupiter because he had to work there.
4) Weaver is going to the second largest moon called Júpiter IV/II and he went for 5 years. His appointment was as Station Officer. His main motivation on going to Júpiter was that he would be earning 5000, a year tax free, that would be 25000 in five years.
5) At first we can see that Duncan is a person who is very interested in his job and money and that he doesn’t cares of the feelings of the rest. We don’t feel very proud of him because he only buys Lellie to travel to Jupiter.
6) The Company Agent is on Mars. His role is to avoid slavery and selling of Martians. The agent tells Weaver they may look dumb but they are in fact very clever and loyal. it is made obvious that he can’t move from one planet to another without a passport.
7) At page 17 martians are described like intelligent and also it says that martians are not as dumb as Weaver thought. Also says that they are clever and smart.
8) As a huge, isolated, silver pencil standing on end. There was a blue light and men and machines working under the ship’s great tail. It is breathtaking.
10) Lellie is a martian. At the beginning she seemed innocent, loyal, trustworthy, reliable and kind. We believe she is tall, with green skin and red hair. She has huge pointed ears but has no nose.
Our teacher Pilar asked to look up for what personal passive is, how to use it, etc. We were divided in gropus and I worked with Francesca and Josefina. Here is a presentation in which you can learn what personal passive is.
- People know that she is a good swimmer.
- They say that Francis is in hospital.
- They think that the children are in bed.
- People believe that the robber has worked in the bank.
- People believe that nuclear power stations are dangerous.
- His collegues thought that he was on holiday.
- People know that cars pollute the environment.
- They suppose that the new product will come out soon.
- They found that the mission was impossible.
- They believe that she will win a gold medal.